While I have had red hair and freckles my entire life, I have never truly been faced with the term "ginger," until my freshman year of high school. I don't deny that I possess the features that belong to the name, and i wear them proudly. But in recent years an accompanying adjective raises my defenses. I have been referred to as a "soulless" ginger more times than I care to admit in the past couple of years. Most of these comments were made in a joking manner by friends, but I cannot help but remember a quote my father always reminded me: many a true word is spoken in jest. Of course I do not truly think that they believe I do not possess a soul, but that joke is an acknowledgement of my being different than most people. My ginger qualities are what make me unique and stand out in a crowd (did I mention that I am also 6'0 tall?), when in fact I am entirely average. This is what leads me to the creation of this blog. The birth of this outlet. The natality of this digital diary.
I am a soulful ginger, and these are my confessions.
No comments:
Post a Comment